Active Bethel Community Executive Board Meeting Minutes
November 17th, 2021, 7-8:30pm (PST)
Members in attendance: Lin Woodrich, Tai Pruce-Zimmerman, Amie Anderson-Forbis , Ed Farren, Sarah Warren, Suzanne O’Shea, Ethan Clevenger, Charlie Sterling, Zach Mulholland
Absent: Travis Johannes, Jeremy AAsum and Ryan Josef-Maier
7:02: Meeting was called to order by: Tai
7:03: Public comment: Suzanne – Brought up issues regarding redistricting for county – Change for District 4 includes all Bethel ABC neighborhoods – Bethel schools under a single commissioner.
- Charlie: What are the implications?
- Suzanne: Consolidating demographic/mapping Bethel school district under a single commissioner – Final decision yet unknown.
7:07: Meeting minutes put forth by Lin to be approved – September/October
7:08: Meeting minutes approved by board
7:08: Business (Old/New):
Amie – New hours form to track time spend volunteering for ABC. Shared screen to go over new form.
- Lin: Would like to add field for Transportation committee for sheet – new committee being formed by Zach.
- Zach: Transportation for Bethel to increase Bike/Walk opportunities – and safety for these activities.
- Lin: Would like help to add data to website.
- Amie: Double checked that everyone is tracking hours spent
- Lin: Requested link to time tracker to be added to Zoom chat for people; Amie provided link.
7:16: Letter for transportation proposals for biking – Zach put together and Jeremy created map. Screen shared map and letter with board.
- Zach: Purple “proposed” bike paths by city city. Yellow is committee’s suggestions for additional paths. Red lines recommended to connect Highway 99 routes to Barger/Prairie Road. Committee would like more scenic routes near us connecting around Eugene to and from river.
- – Suzanne: Map with yellow lines – on Royal would this be widened to house the bike lane?
- Zach: Unsure of process to set up bike lanes.
7:22: Zach will bring mission statement next meeting for the Transportation committee.
7:24: Tai put forth motion to direct Zach to send letter about additional bike/walk routes and concerns on behalf of ABC:
7:25: Board approves motion.
7:25: Lin – Bethel capacity development discussion screen shared.
Went over homework shared by Robert Brack with HRNI:
- Where do you bump into people? Attempt to engage with issues.
- Which resources (groups, other non-profits, etc.) can be used a support?
– Zach: Set up a station to speak people or do a survey – where would that be?
Effective points of contact with public for outreach.
– Lin – River Road- had lots of surveys. ABC may be able to setup a table to do survey work. Robert Brack will also be present at the next meeting.
- Ed: Good idea – would like to hear more of what people would like to do.
- Lin: Did get a lot ideas during building a Better Bethel.
- Suzanne – Should have people to help engage others to take part of survey. How many parks do we have?
- Lin – Screen shared parks list and wet lands- 15 total.
- Zach: What parks are used in case of an evacuation?
- Lin – Screen shared with evacuation site map.
- Charlie: Maybe Bethesda Church would allow us to use site for surveys.
- Lin: Avoid neighborhood split up to name boundaries with zones names – that park could be center of that zone, types of beautification themes, outreach to parts of our neighborhood.
- Ed: In an evacuation situation – evacuations could be staggered by zones as a way to address traffic standstill. Next Civic Engagement meeting is on 12/1.
- Amie: Suggested use of QR code on our e-newsletters – the scan could then send someone to a survey – as an option for outreach.
- Lin: Have never created a QR code but would be interested in its possible use.
- Ethan: Researching options – should be simple.
7:55: Lin recapped past meeting about JH Baxter with local residents, Councilor Claire Syrett and Mayor Vinis. Beyond Toxics and residents – discussion about experiences to those living close to JH Baxter site including reaching out to both DEQ and LARAPA.
- Ed: Would like to see more severe punishment as a result of the company’s violations.
- Suzanne: Hard perhaps to prove if health is compromised.
- Zach: One of the last companies within the U.S. west of the Mississippi to still be using certain toxic chemicals. There is a civil case currently in progress against them.
- Lin: Screen shared penalties that have been assessed against JH Baxter from 1993-2020.
8:11 – Committee Reports:
- 8:11 – Finance – Suzanne sent out financial report.
- Ed approved report.
- 8:13 – Events– Lin – sent out earlier information – also screen shared with board the tree events (door hangers, tree walk).
- Lin/Ed – working on matching grant.
- Boo Barn was a success! 16 businesses had coupons
- Recycle event – trying to find a date that will work – most likely will be in January. Emily Pyle will still be an organizer.
- Possible Holiday event.
– 8:18 – Civic Engagement – Lin – Next meeting is 12/1 at 6:30. Would like as many people as possible to attend.
- 8:18 – Beautification – Travis (absent) – next meeting will see about an update.
- 8:19 – Pantry – (no chair at present) – Lin requested a volunteer for Pantry lead
- Charlie volunteered
- Ed – 6 places with barrels
- Amie, Suzanne, Ed to help with picking up donations
- 8:25 – Business Relations – Lin – Transportation crossover conversation, Boo Barn
- 8:35 – Recycling – (no chair at present) – no events scheduled at present.
8:26: Lin, on next Civic Engagement meeting, would like a topic and/or personal stories to help make meaningful impact.
- 8:27: Social Equity – Lin – Follow up for next meeting.
8:27: Suzanne would like meetings to be listed better on calendar.
- Zach: Would need a vision of what board is doing within the next 12 months.
- Lin: Had goals – but will see about creating one. Next meeting will discuss so everyone can bring ideas.
8:30: Tai – Will need to set up next round of one on ones with all committee members and co-chairs.
– Lin: Envision goals for one on ones.
– 8:34: – Motion to adjourn made by: Tai
Approved by board.
Leave a Comment