June 16th, 2021, 7-8:30pm (PST)
Members in attendance: Lin Woodrich, Tai Pruce-Zimmerman, Ed Farren, Sarah Warren, Suzanne O’Shea, Jenny Boyd, Travis Johannes and Amie Anderson-Forbis
Absent: Ethan Clevenger and Emily Pyle
7:02 – Approval of agenda put forth
– Suzanne requested sending a plant or card from ABC to Senator Manning.
– Approved by those in attendance.
7:05 – Meeting was called to order by: Tai
7:06 – Motion to approve meeting minutes from March, April and May
– 1st – Lin, 2nd Ed
Board approves meeting minutes noted above.
7:10 – Spreadsheet update – Amie
Time spreadsheet a success so far – Quarter 1 good. Quarter 2 need to be sent.
- Lin – Lauren’s and Madison’s hours to be included?
- Suzanne – How often are hours to be sent?
- Amie – Quarterly or whenever it can be sent.
7:13 – Bylaws – Lin/Ed
Lin screen shared the proposed Bylaws from Ed for Board.
- Suzanne – Were comments sent earlier seen?
- Lin – Read comments/questions to board for consideration. Board discussed proposed updates.
- Suzanne – Question about if someone to contact businesses help encourage ABC?
- Lin – ABC board has access to $20,000 to help with outreach planning for Bethel area.
- Suzanne – What is Steering committee reference in verbiage?
- Tai – Term used to indicate ABC board members.
Board made updates to Bylaws.
7:35 – Councilman Greg Evans – Jensen Pond update. City Manager meeting on Monday morning to discuss:
Any problem with pond and liability issues?
Currently property owner assumes access. Meeting to help determine 3rd alternative to accommodate all parties involved.
Types of organizations to consider:
501(c)4: Not for profit
501(c)3: Non profit
Currently ABC board is a 501(c)4.
Jenny – If the ABC board were to change status to become a 501(c)3would that have an impact on the board’s ability to assist with the issues surrounding Jensen Pond?
Councilman Evans: A change in status would have a few more advantages in general.
Jenny – Could ABC board change status?
Councilman Evans – Whiteaker neighborhood is a 501(c)3. ABC is within realm of possibility for becoming a 501(c)3- it would give more autonomy. As a charitable organization also can have more complications and would benefit from seeking legal advice on the subject.
- Lin – Neighborhood Association – has a city outreach fund.
- Tai – Discussions in past – lots to consider before moving forward.
- Suzanne – How do property owners feel about this?
- Councilman Evans – They are wanting to work towards a solution. Urban renewal district – urban renewal fund – need community support and more voices calling for change.
- Jenny – How would the community go about getting voices heard with the city?
- Councilman Evans – Need community to show up in mass, speak up in public comment, writing letters, emails, etc.
7:52 – Committee continued to discuss bylaws.
8:08 – Sent back final review of bylaws for revisions to be completed by Ed.
8:09 – General meeting – (Lin). Shared screen with board – went over idea of noting AARP’s resilient futures on ABC postcard. Dates and meeting discussed.
- Suzanne – Can an E-blast email go out about this event?
- Lin – If including it as part of the E-postcard – this would be used more for announcing important dates/events, save the date, etc.
- Sarah – Will there be a recording of forum?
- Lin – Probably on the AARP website.
- Suzanne – Do you have to preregister?
- Lin – Yes- will need to in order to attend forum. Did send link then you can sign in and be able to chat. Also sent link for EWEB pledged to prepare -in meeting chat.
8:21 – Safe Spot Rest Stop – (Lin). Location for safe rest spot – will remain in place for two years. Unsure if business have been contacted by the Chamber of Commerce for opinions.
- Amie – City narrowed down to top 10 sites.
- Lin – River Road neighborhood association has used door hangers that lists out meetings to help educate. Possible idea to use to help promote ABC initiatives.
- Tai – Can have multiple small meetings around Bethel to help get people involved.
8:40 Committee Reports:
- 8:40 – Finance – Suzanne sent out financial report to board in prior email.
- 8:41 – Beautification – Travis – Community herb garden is on its way- next Thursday another meeting.
- 8:15 – Events – Lin – Gilbert Park for work party – possibly 7/24 for project date.
- 8:17 – Public Safety – Ed – No report given.
- 8:42 – Social Equity – Travis/Lin – Next meeting on 7/5 at 6:30.
- Jenny – needs to find ways to continue to make a visual/tangible impact.
- Tai – $500 application fee for ABC to become a 501(c)3.
- Jenny – How can we raise funds for application fee? Changing status could possibly help with initiatives.
- Lin – Will be good to hear what the Jensen Pond meeting will produce.
- Suzanne – Reminder that Juneteenth celebration to be at Alton Bake Park.
- 8:43 – Pantry – Jenny – No report given.
- 8:44 – Business Relations – Lin – No report given.
- 8:45 – Communications – (Lin) – No report given.
8:49 – RV Corral – 7/22 a 5:30 will have community meeting – Lin will send out information.
8:51 – Bystander Training – (Travis) – Bystander Training set up with City – encourage people to be involved.
– 8:52 – Motion to adjourn made by: Tai
Approved by Board.