Members in attendance: Lin Woodrich, Ethan Clevenger, Janice Kerber, Suzanne O’Shea, Ed Farren

Absent: Douglas Barr, Pennie Moblo, Tai Pruce-Zimmerman, Heather Quaas-Annsa, Jenelle Boyd, Bonnie Stone

Meeting was called to order at 7:10 by Lin.

Open Floor Comments:

  • Proposed apartments on Barger and Century (Lin)
    • We have been asked by Bishow Consulting to set up a Planned Unit Development meeting with immediate property owners and ABC board members.
    • After much discussion we decided the best plan would be to meet at the property on Wednesday, July 22, drop-in from 6:00-8:00.  
    • Bishow Consulting will mail information to immediate property owners and we will announce the meeting at our June 30 General Meeting.
  • Cas Casados, Transportation Programs Coordinator with the Public Works Department, has proposed that Bethel take part in Open Streets, a pilot program to encourage more bike and pedestrian friendly roadways.  Lin will arrange a meeting with her and the board.

Old Business:

  • Due to the lack of a quorum the May minutes were not approved. 
  • LTD has not responded with input to route changes.  This item was tabled.
  • Metal map status (Lin)
    • Rene is unwilling to approve a metal map for Bethel because of the size of Bethel.  The map would be too big and heavy and she hopes that Bethel will be divided into smaller neighborhood associations in the future.  She has approved a few more paper maps.
    • The board is against dividing Bethel Neighborhood Association because we are just beginning the neighborhood planning process and need to include all constituents in the area and because we don’t have enough active board members now and dividing will make that situation worse.

New Business:

  • Bethel Business Alliance update (Lin)
    • Scavenger hunt is going well. 
    • Business information is being gathered for the directory.
    • Membership certificates were well received and there is a large supply for new Alliance members.
  • River Road’s next ZOOM board meeting is Monday, June 22, 7:00-8:00 and we have been invited to attend.  They will be Social Justice.
  • Discussion of Bylaw VIII, Sections 7 & 8 regarding endorsements (Janice)
    • Tai and Heather submitted comments online.  Heather’s responses were rather extensive and this issue will be discussed at the next board meeting.
    • Section 7.  Executive Board policy decision and opinions representing the view of the community on an issue where the general membership has not voted shall be presented to the membership at the next general meeting.  The membership may override the Executive Board decisions by two-thirds vote.
    • Section 8.  The Executive Board shall represent the neighborhood’s opinions to the City Council, Planning Commission, or other appropriate decision-makers.  Such advisory opinions will specify whether the position is one of the general membership, the Executive Board, or a committee, or by organization members present and lacking a quorum.  If there is a minority position on the issue, represented by at least one-third of those voting, this shall also be presented.
    • Examples of items that the board has approved in the past include support of the Neighborhood Matching Grant application by Beyond Toxic and support of the Joint Statement Regarding the Hate and Bias Annual Report.  It was decided that:
      • The matching grant application by Beyond Toxic would not warrant a special notification.
      • Signing in support of the Joint Statement Regarding the Hate and Bias Annual Report should have been announced (Facebook, website, next general meeting and possibly in the newsletter).
    • Because it has been over a year since ABC signed in support of the Hate and Bias Report and it was not announced at the time, the suggestion was made that we should post information about and a link to the report and toolkit, state that we endorsed the 2018 report and are looking forward to the 2019 report.
  • Discussion of unhoused situation and ideas for relocation in Bethel area (Suzanne)
    • The dismantling of the shelter at Petersen Barn is taking place, although there was slight glitch in that the blue privacy fencing was taken down before there was a place to move the tent sites. 
    • The city has purchased the old Veterans Building on River Road and will receive FEMA reimbursement.  It will provide 100 beds.  This is in keeping with the Lane County Public Shelter Feasibility Study and System Analysis (TAC Report).
    • There is a building on Roosevelt and Seneca that is owned by the county that could be used to house the homeless.
    • There was a long discussion about what the city, state and federal government should be doing to provide permanent shelter (with a roof and securable storage).
      • The Hate and Bias Report includes socioeconomic status but should specifically include the homeless.
      • It was suggested that the Board should take specific actions in support of permanent shelter for the homeless.  This was referred to the Civic Engagement Team to write a statement (referring to the comments on homeless from our Building a Better Bethel General Meeting) to be presented at City Council meetings and also used as letter to our city and state representatives.

Committee Reports:

  • Finance (Suzanne emailed the Treasurer’s Report to board members prior to the meeting).
    • PayPal has frozen out account due to suspicious activity for 180 days.  The 180 days should be up shortly.  Ethan was asked to look into this.
  • Events (Lin emailed the committee report prior to the meeting).
    • The Scavenger Hunt ends June 28th.  On the afternoon of the 29th, each participating business owner with select a winning entry from their jar and the jars will be picked up from the businesses.  (We need to make sure that the entry is legible.) Winners will be announced at our ZOOM meeting on June 30th.  On July 1st the winning entries will be returned to the participating businesses so that the winners can collect their prizes.  The grand prizes will be delivered to winners. 
  • Public Safety (Lin emailed the committee report prior to the meeting).
  • Beautification – no committee report.
  • Food Pantry – no committee report.
  • Business Relations – (Lin emailed the committee report prior to the meeting).
  • Communications
    • As a result of the last ZOOM general meeting we have an additional 17 email contacts for our email newsletter.
  • Civic Engagement Team (Lin emailed the committee report prior to the meeting)

.

  • Recycling – postponed until after social distancing order is lifted.
  • Bylaws – see discussion of Article VIII, sections 7 & 8 above.

8:29 meeting adjourned.

Leave a Comment